Career Scavenger Hunt Instructions Discussion
Career Scavenger Hunt Instructions
Part I: NCDA Scavenger Hunt
The purpose of Part I of this assignment is to familiarize you with the variety of resources
available to you on the National Career Development Association (NCDA) website that can be used in career counseling. You will find the answers to 8 questions by searching the NCDA website. If you have difficulty in navigating around a website, ask your classmates for help.
**Answer these questions using complete sentences.
Directions: Go to the NCDA website (ncda.org) and find the answers to the following questions:
1. What is the relationship of the NCDA to the American Counseling Association?
2. What is the purpose of the NCDA?
3. What are your personal results after taking the Career Decision Making Difficulties Questionnaire (CDDQ)? Note: Once you are at the CDDQ launch page, you can opt to take either the CDDQ or the CDDC (Coping with Career Decision-Making Difficulties).
4. What is the purpose of the Motivational Assessment of Personal Potential (MAPP)?
5. Find the website that will take you to the Occupation Data from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. Find the Occupational employment projections to 2022 link. What are the anticipated fastest growing fields?
6. What is the purpose of America’s CareerInfoNet?
7. According to CareerInfoNet, what are the top five fastest growing occupations for persons with a bachelor’s degree? (Hint: Start with the Occupation Information links)
8. Using salary.com (NCDA has a link), what is the base salary range for a licensed professional counselor in Baton Rouge, Louisiana?
Part II: Occupational Outlook Handbook (OOH) Scavenger Hunt
The purpose of Part II of this assignment is to learn how to use the Occupational Outlook Handbook to gather relevant labor market information that would be commonly solicited from career counseling clients. The Occupational Outlook Handbook, available online through the Department of Labor (bls.gov/ooh/), is a comprehensive source of career information that is often used by career counselors. The OOH, which is updated every 2 years, provides detailed information on hundreds of careers. You will use this information to answer questions from the 5 scenarios presented below.
Use the information from the OOH to find the answers presented in the following scenarios:
**Answer these questions using complete sentences. Provide justification for your answer when requested.
Scenario 1: A client, who has recently lost his job as an automobile dealer, is interested in exploring other career opportunities and has narrowed his search to those found below. Specifically, he is interested in a job that “pays well.” Which of the following occupations would you recommend and why?
· Investment Banker
· Mortgage Broker
· Airline Pilot
· Electrical Engineer
Scenario 2: A client who is just starting college is interested in exploring career opportunities that will best ensure finding a job after graduation. Specifically, she has narrowed her choices to 1 of the following careers. What are the employment outlooks for each of these occupations?
· Occupational Therapist
· Childcare Worker
Scenario 3: A client who is just graduating from high school is looking for a career that will provide the most flexibility in a work schedule. Specifically, your client has narrowed his choices to 1 of the following. Which offers the highest possibility of a flexible work schedule?
· Registered Nurse
· Tour Guide
· Private detective
· Bank teller
Scenario 4: A client who has been a trucker for 15 years and has recently suffered a back injury is interested in finding a career that requires little physical risk. He has narrowed his interest to 1 the following. Which career requires the least physical risk?
· Motorcycle repair technician
· Security Guard
Scenario 5: A client who is a skilled artist and has an Associate’s degree from the local community college, is interested in becoming a medical illustrator. He wants to know the following:
· Does he need any more education or training?
· What is the average income of a medical illustrator?
Record your answers to these questions on a separate document and submit through the link in Blackboard.
Submit this assignment by 11:59 p.m. (ET) on Sunday of Module/Week 5.
Page 3 of 3