Interpersonal Communication Skills Discussion
COM 1090—Interpersonal Communication
Communication Skills (Guided) Role Play [Exams 1 & 2]
1. Select one of the scenarios below and write a full response to one of the following scenarios. NOTE: THIS ASSIGNMENT IS USED MULTIPLE TIMES; EACH TIME YOU COMPLETE THIS ASSIGNMENT YOU MUST USE A DIFFERENT SCENARIO FOR EACH SUBMISSION. (TWO SEPARATE ROLE PLAY ASSIGNMENTS ARE DUE BY THE ASSIGNED DATE (WED, AUG 5, 2020)
2. Write two responses: a) one response as the initiator and b) one response as the listener.
3. Write a narrative response in paragraph form. As the “initiator”; you will be asked to confront someone with whom you are in conflict, and you will describe your ability to handle conflict assertively. You will write a response in using your selected role as the initiator of the conversation and describe in detail how you would reply to the individual based on your role using your conflict management skills. You will be graded based on your demonstration of the learned skills in your response.
4. Write a narrative response in paragraph form. As the “listener”; you will describe how you will listen and respond to someone who has come to you to share a problem. You will write a response in using your selected role as the listener in the conversation and describe, in detail, how you would respond to the individual based on your role using your listening to help skills. You will be graded based on your demonstration of the learned skills in your response.
5. In your responses feel free to add any information to the scenarios to make them fit your responses. These are presented as scenario starting points for you to have a wide range to develop your responses. Using the guideline questions to assist with your response, you will be able to develop strong responses for each identified role.
6. Read and adhere to all the Paper Requirements in the next section
7. Proofread and check your document for grammatical errors
8. If you are using paraphrases and/or direct quotations from sources, be sure to cite your sources using APA style. Include a bibliography for your source page.
9. This assignment will be run through SafeAssign, the source/citation validation tool. If you have a high number of unattributable sources, your will be notified by your instructor for consultation on source/citation attribution which may result in a lower or failing grade.
10. DUE DATE: Wednesday, August 5, 2020 (TWO SEPARATE ROLE PLAY ASSIGNMENTS ARE DUE BY THE ASSIGNED DATE)
ROLE PLAY SCENARIOS
1. Your father recently passed away. One of your closest friends did not attend the funeral, nor did she/he call, nor did she/he send a sympathy card. You are about to confront him/her. Roles: You/Friend
2. You recently discovered that the man who you believed to be your father all these years is not. You need someone to talk to, so you confide in your friend. Roles: You/Friend
3. Your good friend asked to borrow your credit card to purchase a couple of necessity items for her child that she could not afford. It turns out, however, that when you received your statement, you discovered that she purchased a washing machine for nearly $700! You decide to confront her. Roles: You/Friend
4. One of your closest friends borrowed $1000 from you about three months ago and has not returned the money. He said he needed the money because he was behind on his rent, but you found out that he lost the money gambling. You decide to confront him. Roles: You/ Friend
5. You found offensive, racist comments in a social media post by your spouse on one of your friend’s Facebook page. You decide to confront your spouse. Roles: Husband/Wife
6. You need to speak with your professor to dispute a grade. You know that you have been chronically late during the semester and are worried that your professor will hold your tardiness against your during the conversations. You confront the professor. Roles: Student/Professor
Your paper must include the following areas:
1. Write a 2-5-page short essay based on the assignment requirements
2. Use 12 font
3. Double spaced
4. Cover Page
5. Your paper must include all of the following sections:
a. Section 1: Scenario Selection – this section includes a description of the scenario you selected for this assignment and you should indicate why you specifically chose the scenario and what you think the major conflict issue is in the relationship. Note you are to only choose one scenario and you will respond for both roles (once as the initiator in Section 2 and the Listener in Section 3. This should be one paragraph.
b. Section 2: The Initiator Response – this section includes your narrative response to the questions for the “Initiator Role”. This should be no more than two paragraphs.
c. Section 3: The Listener – this section includes your narrative response to the questions for the “Listener Role”. This should be no more than two paragraphs.
HERE IS AN EXAMPLE TO STIMULATE YOUR THOUGHT PROCESS FOR YOUR SECTION 2 & 3 RESPONSES
Be sure to describe how you would respond to the individual based on the identified role. For example, if you are responding as a friend as the listener after your friend has accused you of not paying back a loan, you might respond with the following:
Section 3 Example” Listener Role, Scenario # (Indicate your scenario number here)
Tim, it appears that you feel as though I did not pay you back the money I borrowed for my wedding. Is that correct? What I thought, I heard you say is that you felt that I was being dishonest, not loyal, and shirking my responsibility as a friend. Those are pretty harsh statements and I want to be sure that I understand your perspective prior to responding. If this is truly how you feel, then I owe it to you to clear the air and make sure you understand my point of view as well as me understanding your point of view. So you indicated on the phone earlier today that never intended to pay you back the money I borrowed for my wedding – If that is how you really feel then I need to give you my side of the story so we can really clear the air.
First, I want you to understand that I will always be your friend no matter what transpires in our lives. Loyalty is the number one requirement for friendship and if you felt that I was disloyal in anyway, I apologize for anything that I did to feed into that perception. Secondly, regarding the money, when I borrowed the money for my wedding you told me to take my time and return the money whenever I had the opportunity, I know it has been a couple of months and I haven’t returned the money, but I lost my job and was not able to repay you in a timely manner. But I do take responsibility for not informing you of my circumstances. I truly feel bad that we have not been in contact like we used to be, and I can only think that this situation has been the main reason. Since I have returned to work, I will be paying you monthly if that is ok until I repay all the money I have borrowed. Let me know if this is acceptable. I want nothing more than to move our friendship forward. I am available to talk, day or night. Looking forward to chatting with you soon.
1. All papers should be submitted via Blackboard link under the Non-MindTap Projects/Guided Role Play Folder
2. BOTH ASSIGNMENTS ARE DUE: BY WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 5, 2020. (TWO SEPARATE ROLE PLAY ASSIGNMENTS ARE DUE BY THE ASSIGNED DATE)
GUIDELINES FOR YOUR NARRATIVE RESPONSES (Sections 2 & 3)
Use these areas as guidelines for developing your responses.
In the listener role, your response should include the following:
· Following the proper guidelines for give advice.
· Following the appropriate guidelines for judging, evaluating and analyzing.
· Asking appropriate and useful questions.
· Prompting and paraphrasing.
· Effectively balancing supportiveness and honesty.
In the initiator role, your response should include the following:
· Have you described the behavior with blaming, judging or name-calling?
· Have you offered an interpretation?
· Have you clearly expressed your feelings?
· Have you stated the consequence of this person’s actions?
· Have you clearly stated your intentions?
· What resolution technique did you use to handle the conflict?
· Was the conflict handled or left open ended?
COM 1090—Interpersonal Communication
Communication Skills Role Plays
Evaluation Form/Grading Rubric
Name: _________________________________________ Score: __________
Listening to Help (5/pts/questions = 25 pts)
· Did listener follow the proper guidelines for giving advice? __________
· Did listener follow the appropriate guidelines for judging, evaluating and analyzing? _______________
· Did listener ask appropriate and useful questions? _____________
· Did listener prompt and paraphrase? ______________
· Did listener effectively balance supportiveness and honesty? ____________
Conflict Resolution (5/pts/questions = 25 pts)
· Have you described the behavior with blaming, judging or name-calling? _____________
· Have you offered an interpretation? ______________
· Have you clearly expressed your feelings? _______________
· Have you stated the consequence of this person’s actions? ____________
· Have you clearly stated your intentions? _________________
Communication Skills Role Play – p.